Sunday 5 September 2010

Picnic in the park

I can't believe I've been here a week already, and it's my first real weekend in Lyon, since last weekend was spent moving in. Yesterday Helen (the girl who lives in the same residence as me) I went to a big park in the north of Lyon called Le Parc de la Tête d'Or. Incidentally, there were no golden heads anywhere! (Sorry, really bad linguist humour there). It's absolutely huge. It puts Oxford's Uni Parks to shame! Plus, there is an (albeit small) zoo there! H turned into a bit of a child around the animals, which I found very amusing! There were Asian elephants, bears, several types of monkeys, flamingos, pelicans, some sort of crane with a weird crest on its head, and a massive crocodile! Its head was poking out of the door to the indoor enclosure and the rest of it was inside, as if it couldn't be bothered to come out any further! There was a lion enclosure but sadly we couldn't see the lion. We had a lovely picnic there with baguettes that we had bought from Carrefour, as well as crisps and some weird cereal bars that I bought, thinking they'd be similar to Go-Ahead bars, but these were crunchy rather than soft. I have decided that I absolutely adore French children! There was a little boy with his father, and the boy kept saying "oiseau" (French for bird) and pointing at the birds. Too cute! I also discovered H's hatred of pigeons; she referred to them as flying rats. I'm not too keen on them myself. As I sit here in my flat I am wondering what to do today, as this is Europe and EVERYTHING shuts on Sundays. I'm sure I will find something.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment