Sunday 22 September 2013

Everything is changing!

Hi everyone! I've been really quiet this summer. There's no real reason for this, other than the fact that my summer has been the complete opposite of exciting. I spent it pretty much exclusively either working on my dissertation or avoiding it. I am such a good student. Now that that's out of the way, today seemed like a good day to update my blog, for a number of reasons. 5 years ago today, I became a student at the University of Birmingham, and now I find myself on the verge of completing my second degree from there. (She says...at this point I'm not even sure if I'm going to pass the Master's, but that's another story)

It seems like only yesterday when I moved into Maple Bank and met the most amazing flatmates I could ever have wished for: Beth, Anna, Kiddy and Hemali. Not to mention the rest of my Maple friends who I also became very close with: Sophie, Charlotte and James. Of course I made lots of other friends while at uni, but there are too many to name and I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. Anyway, I decided to write this post today because it is the anniversary of a day when lots of changes started to happen in my life, and it has now reached the point where the same thing is happening again. First of all, my mum has got a new job. This might not sound like it affects me directly, and in a way it doesn't, but nevertheless it is a big change. Although my mum's been a school governor for the past I-don't-even-know-how-many years, she hasn't had a paid job since before I was born. So until I get a job myself, I'll be running the house! That'll be fun...!

The next big change that's happened is my brother moving to university. This actually happened last year, but due to complications with his course, he left after two weeks and took a gap year, so now he's gone for real. He's gone to Exeter to study business management. The house is really quiet without him. I'd be lying if I said he didn't annoy me, but I do miss him. I'm super jealous of his accommodation! From what I've seen/heard, it seems way nicer than what I had in first year! Also weirdly, he's ended up on the top floor at the end of the corridor, just like I did in both first and second year. Coincidence or what?

As if all that wasn't enough, I'm also starting to learn to drive. Yes, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but uni and epilepsy have got in the way slightly. I had of course meant to learn last summer, but then I decided to do the Master's, so driving seemed pointless at that time. By a sheer stroke of luck, my dad found me a car a couple of months ago that's the same age as my brother's, but that had done less than half the mileage. I'm now the proud owner of an adorable silver Toyota Yaris. It'll be a while before I can actually drive it though, as I had to wait until I finished my dissertation before I could even start lessons, and I'll be starting off using the instructor's car until he's confident that I can drive it without him using the dual controls. My brother, being the joker that he is, threatened to puncture my tyres if I didn't get on with the diss. Siblings are the best! NOT. Thankfully it was an empty threat and I've now had my first driving lesson. It went really well and I'm looking forward to the next one.

In summary, my life is changing rapidly, in fact life is changing rapidly for my whole family. But I'm looking forward to winter. I love summer too, but there's just something about cosy jumpers, big warm meals and kicking the leaves around :) Plus the best TV shows are on in winter. Strictly Come Dancing starts next week, the Great British Bake Off is in full swing and all the best dramas are coming back/new ones are starting. I REALLY hope Sherlock comes back soon, the withdrawal symptoms are just ridiculous!

That's all for now.

Megan xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment